One of my 2021 goals for myself is to read 24 books within the year. As I’m writing this, it’s the middle of February and I’ve already read 6! But per your guys’ requests on Instagram, I’ve decided to turn this blog post into a mini book review where I share which books I’ve read and if I liked them or not.
Don’t worry, I won’t post any spoilers in here! I’ll just be rating the books out of 10 and giving a few vague bullet points on why I did or did not like the book. Each time I finish a new book, I’ll update this blog post and add it! So you can always come back here to find new books. Comment below if you have any other book recommendations for me.
1. Layla by Colleen Hoover – 10/10
- I started and finished this book in one day
- AMAZING plot and plot twists
- I literally never knew or could predict what was going to happen next
2. Heart Bones by Colleen Hoover – 9/10
- Super intriguing storyline, I couldn’t tell where it was going
- Definitely a ‘feel-good’ book
3. Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell – 8/10
- Dark and spooky… I got scared when I read it while I was home alone
- Super twisted storyline
- I think they gave away the mystery too soon, but it was still a good plot
4. I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll – 9.5/10
- Trigger warning: sexual assault
- Started and finished it within one night… I couldn’t put it down
- Super unexpected twist, but one that you couldn’t have predicted, which I think makes it a little less fun
5. The Whisper Man by Alex North – 9.75/10
- SUCH a crazy and unexpected storyline
- Only lost .25 because it was so scary that I couldn’t fall asleep if I read it at night, and I could notttttt read it while I was home alone
- Little hints at the twists that are coming, but still so hard to expect them
6. When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O’Neal – 8/10
- The last half was good, but the first half was a bit slow
- I did like how many different turns and storylines there were
- Really really liked the ending
- UMMM PHENOMENAL… no other words to describe it
- Mind F to the max… never ever saw the ending coming or would’ve predicted it
- I’m pretty sure I finished this in one or two days – I physically couldn’t put it down
8. The House Keeper by Natalie Barelli – 8/10
- Super twisted storyline… I didn’t know where it was going at first
- Does have a slow start, but picks up momentum like 1/3 of the way through
- Was actually very surprised by the ending… which I love when that happens
9. Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney – 9.5/10
- This one left me… speechless. Confused… not sure how to digest the ending… but speechless. In a good way!
- At first, I was like “wait how do these stories connect, where is this going?” but when the plot twist comes it’s like a giant “OOOOHHHH” feeling
- Really makes you question who’s side you’re on the whoooole entire time
- Trigger warning: sexual assault
- This book kept me drawn in the whooooole time… just when I thought I knew where it was going, BOOM… plot twist
- You almost get frustrated while reading it because you want answers right then and there and are dying to get to the part that has them
- Super quick read because of how good it is
- Okay I almost didn’t read this because it has some shiz reviews on the Amazon store… but I LOVED it
- There’s a lot of jumping between characters, it’s from 4 or 5 people’s point of view, so you have to be invested at first to remember who is who
- The plot and twists are just… amazing. Never would’ve seen them coming!
- It was good, but it didn’t draw me in ever… like it took me a week to finish so I wasn’t super invested into it by any means
- Lucy Foley definitely has a specific writing style, which made it easy to predict the ending (only because I had read ‘The Guest List’ right before this)
- This one is hard to rate… it was SO good and addicting to read, but you never ever would’ve seen the ending coming
- Almost makes YOU feel confused about what you’re reading…. and that’ll only make sense if you read it
- Really good book just not my favorite ending in a book
- Honestly, it started off kind of slow and I didn’t think I’d like it at first
- The last half is AMAZING… and has a twist that was better than I expected it to be while I was reading
- KINDA SCARY so don’t read it at night if you’re alone… I made that mistake once oops
- I’m geeked to finally put my first book review on this page, and I couldn’t have read a better book. The Mistborn series is a Sci-Fi fantasy trilogy, so you have to be into fiction!
- I’m actually only through the 1st and 2nd book (The Final Empire and the Well of Ascension), but I’m currently reading the 3rd.
- Absolutely amazing series so far. The first book hooked me immediately and had an awesome ending. The second book was a little slow for awhile but had the best book ending I’ve read so far.